Friday, April 3, 2015

HOW TO SLIPCOVER A LEATHER OTTOMAN

Let me say right up front that leather is NOT my favorite thing to slipcover.  It's because it is a true SLIP COVER.  In other words, it slips because it doesn't have anything to grab onto.


The fabric we used is Sunbrella.  Also, to the right in the above picture and the one below, you can see striped towels (from the Hotel Del Coronado, found abandoned on the beach) which are covering the seat cushions on the chairs I made new covers for.  I'll do those in a different post.  They are covered to protect the cushions from the kitty cats!


In an attempt to keep the slipcover in place, my client had an under-the-rug mesh pad that we put directly on the ottoman before putting the slipcover on.  (I ran into my client today and didn't think to ask how this is working.)


The other thing I did was sew cording, which just happened to be the exact color of the fabric, on the seam line and tie the skirt to the ottoman for extra security in keeping it in place.


And unless you get on the floor and look under the skirt, the ties are not visible.  


No comments: